SUNDAY EUCHARIST 10:30 AM; YOUTH SUNDAY SCHOOL @ 10:30 AM (SEPT-MAY) 1520 WEST KING'S HIGHWAY, GAP, COMPASS, PA 17527 (717) 442-4302 STJOHNSCOMPASS@GMAIL.COM RECTOR: THE REV. DR. NINA GEORGE-HACKER
Mission Statement We welcome all persons searching for spiritual guidance and wholeness in our broken world, as together we seek to serve others in the Name of Jesus Christ.
During the American Revolution (1765-1783), St. John's was a microcosm of the conflict. Members were both Tories and Colonists. The church was officially closed during the Revolution, although baptisms were still held. After the Revolution, the congregation re-organized itself in 1783 as part of the emerging Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. In the early 1830's, persons of color began appearing in the church rolls as full communicants. It was during this period, in 1838, that the present church building was erected.
Over the years the church was remodeled and electricity was installed. In 1963, the parish hall was added to the existing church building. In 2002, the windows were restored and the church was air-conditioned. Recent updates have included remodeling the church's conference room and offices, both bathrooms, and the Rectory, along with creation of a meditation garden and a columbarium for the interment of cremains.
Frances Smith became the first female Rector's warden in 1972, and our current (47th) Rector is the second female priest in 288 years.